Re: eps, markup and adding hammer-on/pull-off to tablature

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: eps, markup and adding hammer-on/pull-off to tablature
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 08:25:19 +0200

Marc Hohl wrote:
By the way: how should "real" hammer-ons and pull-offs look like in tablature? I have seen normal slurs, slurs with an H or a P above, just letters under the fret numbers (which are the worst possibility IMO) and letters between the corresponding fret numbers.
Anyone outside who knows the "standard way"?

I'm not sure of which is the "standard way".
But, according to my experience as fingerstyle guitar player and student, I can tell my *personal* view.

I don't like at all the use of letters. I think they can be confusing or just redundant. As long as a slur in tablature can mean just hammer-on and pull-off, there's no need to specify what it is. And you do not need to say if it's an hammer-on or a pull-off when you use a slur, as there are the numbers for that ;-)

So I'm a strong supporter of normal slurs.
I think also this is the standard nowadays (at least in fingerstyle books). Once the method of Stefan Grossman was quite spread (unfortunately): he used to put a letter (h,p) aside the note number and after the pair of notes "tied together"; and no slur at all.

But in modern manuals I see just slurs.

We may discuss about which direction (up or down) should they have..
I don't have any idea about implementation in lilypond, but the best option could be let the user the possibility to choose.

Anyway, in the attached image you can see what I'd like to have (the shapes are not perfect, but just to give an idea..).

Cheers,
Federico

PNG image