Re: lilypond 2.12.1 - strange result - missing line breaks

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: lilypond 2.12.1 - strange result - missing line breaks
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 20:30:30 +0200

Michał Dwużnik schrieb:
Hi,

after quite a long time of not using lilypond I got back to "engraving".
Attached example (modified SATB example, proven to work with other
pieces) produces somewhat surprising result
 - printout with second line extending to the right well past the edge
of the page...
How should I hint lilypond to break the lines and get good result?
Such weird output is mostly due to the fact of assigning the wrong or no length to a note. In the tenor voice, you coded des4.( c4 bes2) which is surely too much for a 4/4 bar.
Second, you forced a line break in the soprano voice in the middle of a bar.

To avoid such errors, it is better and more readable to write every bar in a separate line,
and you can end every bar with a "|" to force bar checks.

Marc
Thanks in advance

Michal