Re: attaching buzz marking in percussion

From: Bryan Stanbridge
Subject: Re: attaching buzz marking in percussion
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 00:15:59 -0400

M@ Nichols wrote:
Instead of putting a single, double, or triple slash tremolo on a snare drum note, how do you add the "z" as a roll?
\version "2.12.2"
\drums {
  sn4 sn8 sn sn4 sn4:32
  sn8 sn16 sn sn sn8 sn16 sn8 sn sn4
}

How would I add the "z" marking to the red snare example?
Greetings Matthew,

Here's how I create the Zs for my pieces.

ZRollsOn = \override TextScript #'extra-offset = #'(-0.5 . -4.5)
ZRollsOff = \revert TextScript #'extra-offset
Z = \markup { \bold "z" }

Then I just do something like this:

sn8 \ZRollsOn sn8-\Z sn8-\Z \ZRollsOff sn8

There are probably more accurate methods based on overriding the stem stencil, but I'm not sure how to do that.

The extra-offset values will need to be shifted based on what sort of scheme you're using for your staves. That extra-offset pair is great for a single-line snare system with downward stems (leaving the area above notes for sticking indications and articulations).

I have a full drumline template hiding around here somewhere I can offer, if you're interested.

Cheers,
Bryan...

--
Bryan Stanbridge
President, Composer, Percussionist * Purple Frog Press