Re: generating graphic examples

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: generating graphic examples
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 18:22:20 +0200

Josh Nichols wrote:
I want to be able to generate graphic musical examples without getting it formatted on a giant paper-formatted .pdf or .png. How do I accomplish this?

I cannot find anything in the manual which allows this.

I assume you basically want to trim your output to the really used space.
I guess there should be an option to do so, since it's done for the snippets in the documentation, and it might well be the clip-systems option. However, this one does exactly nothing for me (2.12.1), or I just can't use it correctly.

If you have ImageMagick ready, for PNGs you can just call
        convert -trim original.png trimmed.png

If you want trimmed PDF and/or EPS files and are on one of the common Unices with ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick, GhostScript and xpdf-utils installed, have a look at the attached Makefile. Note that I don't simply use the above command for the PNGs, but convert the PDF to PNG instead; this way, the sizes of both images are exactly the same (up to the resolution). If you remove the -l option from the ps2eps call in line 16, the PDF should be trimmed "tight"; with it, there is a white border of about 1pt around it.

I have no idea what this does to multipage files, by the way.

HTH,
Alexander
TARGETS=halleluja
RESOLUTION=600
GS=gs -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH

.PHONY: all clean

all:    $(addsuffix .pdf,$(TARGETS)) \
        $(addsuffix -trimmed.pdf,$(TARGETS)) \
        $(addsuffix -trimmed.png,$(TARGETS)) \
        $(addsuffix -trimmed-no-bg.png,$(TARGETS))

%-trimmed.pdf:  %.pdf
        cp -f $< $@;
        pdftops $@;
        rm -f $*-trimmed.eps;
        ps2eps -l $*-trimmed.ps;
        epstopdf $*-trimmed.eps;
        rm -f $*-trimmed.ps;

%.pdf: %.ly
        lilypond $<;

%-trimmed.png:  %-trimmed.pdf
        convert -density $(RESOLUTION)x$(RESOLUTION) -units PixelsPerInch
-colorspace Gray -depth 8 $< $@;

%-trimmed-no-bg.png:    %-trimmed.png
        convert -channel R $< -channel A -size 1x256 gradient:black-none -clut
$@;

%.png:  %.ly
        lilypond -dresolution=$(RESOLUTION) --png $<;

clean: $(addsuffix .CLEAN,$(TARGETS))

%.CLEAN:
        rm -f $*-fixed.ps $*-fixed.eps $*.bbox;
        rm -f $*.ps $*.pdf $*.png $*-trimmed.eps $*-trimmed.pdf $*-trimmed.png
$*-trimmed-no-bg.png $*.midi;