Re: percussion clef

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: percussion clef
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 10:09:25 -0700 (PDT)

Nick Didkovsky wrote:
> At some point in LilyPond's history I believe the notes on the staff
> with a percussion clef showed up on the same level as treble clef.
> Does anyone know when (ie what LilyPond version) and why this changed?
> Confused...

I'm not sure how that could be, judging by the source code history.
The clef-position and middle-C position for the percussion clef were
added in May 2001 for version 1.4.0, here:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=commitdiff;h=75f9ad8925f73f7729e73597e76a6dcb379cc044

You can see the file that resulted from these changes by clicking the
link "b/scm/clef.scm" near the top.

Already at that time, the percussion clef was vertically centered on the
middle line (clef-position = 0) and the offset for middle C was set to
0, meaning that middle C would also have been on the same (middle) line.
Another way of saying this is that the values for the percussion clef
were (and still are) the same for those of the alto clef.

However, there could be other factors contributing to the behavior you
seem to remember. Or perhaps you were already overriding the default
middleCPosition in your old files, but the method for doing so has since
changed? I don't know if that's true. Did you try running convert-ly?

- Mark