Re: new website, draft 7

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: new website, draft 7
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 14:48:52 +0200

2009/7/30 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> http://lilypond.org/~graham/index.html

I really like this. The "Where now?" stuff is simply brilliant. As is
the green-ish gradient.

Minor nitpicks:
CSS
 - the quickSummary subheading's boder-bottom is a bit too thick to my
taste (if it is to stay that thick, we should consider having rounded
corners for it). Ditto about the <h3> title in the footer.
 - similarly, the latestVersions subheading could use a rounded corner
(for example the upper left corner)
 - I'm not sure it's a good idea to not show the
Intro/Download/Manuals submenus on mouse hovering (IIRC we used to
have a css trick for that). On one hand, showing them makes the
website look more complex, but on the other hand it is very handy to
have the ability to quickly access any page from the home page.
 - Download.html may look better if the OS names were vertically
centered with the images.
 - on the home page's "quick links", how about using a slightly
different color for "Stable" and "Unstable", like we do for the
manuals?

CONTENT
 - Perhaps the Features page does not insist explicitely enough on how
much we're superior to our commercial competitors. (Or we could
consider having a new "comparison" page)
 - Perhaps we could add some additional references to the FSF or the
GNU project (in the footer, maybe?) - and what about a GNU logo on the
Freedom page?

WORDING
 - From the index page: "LilyPond is an open-source music engraving
program" - I miss the word "Free" in this sentence...
 - Snippets.html : maybe we could explain *what* a snippet is, as we
do with "tiny examples".
 - Productions.html: perhaps we should add Kieren's stuff?

Regards,
Valentin