Re: website: why do you use lilypond?

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: website: why do you use lilypond?
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 18:27:25 +0200

Graham Percival wrote:

Consider two questions:
1.  Would these 7 web pages (everything under Introduction)
convince you to give lilypond a try?

yes, definitely
I think it's a really good introduction

2.  If you used lilypond for a short time (say, 1-3 hours), would
you regret doing so?  I mean, do the current Introduction webpages
gloss over any problems?  Would you feel cheated or mislead?

I don't think so..
Maybe, it could be helpful adding a short *video introduction* showing how it works.

I guess most of people are scared about not having a GUI, but you can show them that it's easier than they think. It's more likely they trust some pictures rather than words.

BTW, have you (Lilypond community) ever thought about recording some *screencasts*? This is the way how many people learn using a program and, even though you might think this could work just with graphics or video software, I guess it may work for lilypond as well.. (at least for new users)

I suppose we could take the view that it's advertizing, and thus
we should *try* to trick people, but I really dislike this aspect
of modern society.  If somebody wouldn't be happy with lilypond,
then let's try to make sure they realize that before they try it.

Definitely. If they feel tricked, they will simply not use lilypond.

Also, can you improve any examples?  I mean, the Goyescas /
Granados example and Cary / Baca examples look *wicked awesome*.
In contrast, the tablature example bores me to tears, the vocal
music example is probably missing a / accent in "trou-ve", etc.

I'd be really glad to help with the tablature example.
I think a modern piece would be better in this case, as tablature are used by modern guitarists. What about a Scott Joplin ragtime arranged for guitar? (it is in the public domain)

I guess a good example should show the best features of tablature support in Lilypond.. There are any other requirements?

Cheers,
Federico