Re: ties across voices

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: ties across voices
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 23:31:29 +0200

2009/8/1 Neil Puttock <address@hidden>:
> 2009/8/1 Patrick Schmidt <address@hidden>:
>
>> how can I tie a note of one voice to a note of another voice?
>
> You can't.  The usual workaround is to use a hidden note:
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/input/lsr/lilypond-snippets-big-page.html#Making-an-object-invisible-with-the-_0027transparent-property

[This cross-posting has a reason, as you will see.]

Visual packages can do cross-voice slurs easily because you choose a
pair of noteheads with your mouse and the program draws a slur between
them. Ties are, however, equally difficult as for LilyPond is,
AFAICRemember. LilyPond has a simple and comfortable syntax for
in-voice ties and slurs that makes them easy to perform, but
cross-voice ties and slurs are difficult.

I think that emulating the visual behaviour could be done marking
noteheads with a given name or number, regardless of what voice or
staff do they belong to, and LilyPond could possibly trace them as it
already knows the coordinates.

For example,

\new Voice { c \startSlur="name" d e f } %stores coordinates of this notehead
\new Voice { c d e f \endSlur="name" } %we already have both ends

I am asking only if this would be possible, and if yes, make an
enhancement request.
--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org