Re: chord slides

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: chord slides
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 22:08:38 +0100

Patrick Schmidt wrote Sunday, August 02, 2009 1:50 PM

I would like to achieve a chord slide.

1) How come that I can see the glissando marks when I use half notes but not when I use sixteenths?

The glissando can often become so short it
is invisible, as happens here.  It's length
can be overriden, but it's a bit messy.  The
method is explained in section 5.4.6 of the
Notation Reference, and I've given an example
below.

2) How can I slide chords with more than 2 voices?

You need to add as many hidden voices as the
number of notes in the chord less 1.

3) How can I combine the beams of the single notes with those of the slided chords?

You have to set the beams manually, which
means the start and end notes of the beam
must be in the same voice, hence the spacer
notes in the example below.

Below is one approach to your problem.  You
will have to ignore warnings about clashing
note columns due to the hidden notes.  I've
also increased the thickness of the gliss,
and the length is probably too long - you
can easily adjust these.

Trevor

\version "2.13.3"
\relative c' {
 \new Staff  <<
   \new Voice = "visible" {
     e,16[ e
     \once \override Glissando #'minimum-length = #5
\once \override Glissando #'springs-and-rods = #ly:spanner::set-spacing-rods
     \once \override Glissando #'thickness = #2
     % glissando is attached to b' & c'
     <e' b'>\glissando <f c'>]
   }
   \new Voice = "hidden" {
     s s
     \hideNotes
     % attach glissando to note heads
     \once \override Glissando #'thickness = #2
     e\glissando f