Re: don't understand slur control-points

From: Stefan Thomas
Subject: Re: don't understand slur control-points
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 16:20:20 +0200

Dear Trevor,
thank You so much for Your excellent and easy understandable explanations!
Now I know, where I have to turn the screws!
Kind regards,
Stefan

2009/8/3 Trevor Daniels <address@hidden>
Stefan

It is tricky if you don't understand Bezier curves,
but quite easy if messy once they are understood.
Have you read "Modifying ties and slurs" in
section 5.5.4 "Modifying shapes" in the
Notation Reference?  That gives some clues.  It
also helps to Google for Bezier curves.  In the
end though you have to proceed through trial and
error.  I give a reasonable solution to your problem
below, but first here's how I obtained it.

I first copied out the override from the Notation
Reference mentioned above and tried it unchanged.

The slur was far too low and short.  The Y position
of the end-points is given by the second value of
control points 1 and 4 (CP1 and CP4), so I increased
these until the end points were at roughly the right
height.

Next I doubled the X value of CP4 to get the length
about right.

Then I increased the Y value of CP2 and CP3 to
bring the middle of the curve up.  Now we're getting
close.

The X values of CP2 and CP3 now need to be moved,
keeping them close to the end points, with CP3
being closer to CP4 to give it the unsymmetric
shape that is needed to match the shape of the
notes.

All it needs now is some final tweaking to get the
shape right.  Here's what I ended up with:

\version "2.13.0"

re = { \change Staff = rechts }
li = { \change Staff = links }
reru = { \re \stemDown }
lira = { \li \stemUp }
music = {
 \once \override TupletBracket #'padding = #-7.5
 \set tupletSpannerDuration = #(ly:make-moment 1 4 )
 \times 2/3 { \li
  \once \override Slur
    #'control-points = #'((1 . 3) (7 . 20) (30 . 20) (31 . 3))

 g 8 (\re e' \li bes \re  d'' g' f'' cis''  ais'' fis'' ~
\once \override TupletBracket #'padding = #-2 fis'' \li f'! b ) |  } }
\new PianoStaff {
 << \new Staff ="rechts" \music
  \new Staff = "links" s1 >>

 }