Re: Dot getting divorced on dotted note

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: Dot getting divorced on dotted note
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 08:09:04 -0700 (PDT)

Nick Payne wrote:
> I'm setting a piece in three voices (guitar arrangement of
> Schubert's song Ständchen). The problem is that when the top
> voice has a dotted chord that results in the notes being offset
> left/right of the stem, this results in the dot on the note in
> the bass voice getting separated from the note. This snippet
> shows the problem. I know I can use \override #'extra-offset to
> move the dot, which is what I have been doing, but is this
> expected behaviour or a bug? I couldn't find anything in the
> documentation mentioning this.

One thing you could try is moving the Dot_column_engraver from the
Staff context to the Voice context. Off the top of my head, I'm
not sure what types of other problems this will cause (ultimately
it may be a kludge), but it's worth experimenting. I'll ask the
other developers.

- Mark

\layout {
  \context {