conditionally eliminating lyric extender

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: conditionally eliminating lyric extender
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 13:34:41 -0400

Hello all,

I want to [automagically] conditionally eliminate lyric extenders when
(1) the end of the syllable which has the extender is after [i.e., to the right of] the melisma's last note; and, (2) the distance to the following syllable is less than the minimum extender length [plus some reasonable padding value?].

[Yes, I'm aware of Ross etc. and traditional rules of engraving — I also know that there are exceptions to every rule, and I think the one I'm suggesting is reasonable.]

For an example of the current default (v 2.13.3), I've attached a screenshot of my setting of Shakespeare's "Pardon, goddess of the night". It should be immediately obvious why I think the default is not optimal: in the case of "songs" and "Round", I would *definitely* want to eliminate the extender, and I might even want to eliminate it after "-bout".

My question is, what would be required to fix this?
Can it be done in the .scm files, or does it require a C++ modification?

Thanks,
Kieren.

PNG image