Re: Using dynamics in lyrics

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: Using dynamics in lyrics
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 07:15:36 +0200

You can add \markup to lyrics. So you can add \markup \dynamic f directly into your lyrics.

On 06.08.2009, at 04:08, Peter Chubb wrote:

Hi,
I'm doing an arrangement of a song, where the different
stanzas in different parts have different dynamics.  I know I can mark
an entire stanza as forte, piano etc., using the trick int he
snippets repository, but how do I do it in the middle of a verse?
I've tried adding New_dynamic_engraver to the Lyrics context, and that
sort-of works, but the resulting dynamic marks often collide with
the text --- particularly crescendo/diminuendo spanners.

Is there a simple way to do this, or do I have to play with tweaks to
move the dynamic marks around?

Here's an example:

------------------
\version "2.12.0"
vA=\lyrics { \set stanza = #"1. "
 "" \p  \cresc This4 verse gets loud -- er \f \dim then soft -- er \p
}
vB=\lyrics { \set stanza = #"2. "
 "" \p \dim This4 verse gets soft -- er \pp \cresc then loud -- er \f
}

\score {
  <<
    \context Lyrics = vOne \vA