Re: cannot end slur

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: cannot end slur
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 23:23:22 +0100

Carl Sorensen wrote Tuesday, August 04, 2009 2:05 PM

On 8/4/09 5:35 AM, "Reinhold Kainhofer" <address@hidden> wrote:

Am Dienstag, 4. August 2009 01:29:56 schrieb Trevor Daniels:

Stupid of me!  I gave the correct analysis of
your problem but the wrong solution!

You should use a phrasing slur, \( .. \)
instead of a slur, ( .. ).  Then the acciaccatura
slur doesn't get in the way.

But on the other hand, it is not detected as a melisma for the lyrics any longer, so each of the "slurred" notes will still be assigned a lyrics
syllable, which is in general not what you want.

So, as a first workaround, should the slur in acciaccatura be changed to a
phrasing slur?

I don't think so.  In the example which started
this thread the slur should have been a phrasing
slur anyway, which with your suggested change
would have then presented the same problem in
reverse.  Also it would be unusual to have an
acciaccatura which was _not_ part of a melisma,
so it really does need to be slurred to the
following note or else it would take a syllable
for itself.

Trevor