Re: website: why do you use lilypond?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: website: why do you use lilypond?
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 15:45:19 -0700

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 07:10:21PM +0100, Tim Rowe wrote:
> 2009/8/4 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> > On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 02:52:25PM +0100, Tim Rowe wrote:
> >> A pop example presents obvious copyright issues.
> >
> > No; an *existing* commercial pop example has copyright issues.
> > Using a copyleft pop song would be fine as long as we include the
> > copyleft license issues (attribution, etc).  Inventing a new pop
> > song sidesteps all the above.
>
> True, but we haven't invented new copyright pieces for classical,
> Gregorian chant, etc.

Those aren't covered by copyright.

> I would have thought it better to have a
> recognisable pop song on the web site if we can. Elvis Presley might
> not exactly be current, but he was certainly popular!

I don't think that any of his songs would become available until
2050 or so -- assuming the big media companies don't extend
copyright again in a few years.

> Or we could go back to earlier pop: "She was poor but she was honest..." ;-)

If that's a reference to my "let's obey copyright law, even if we
have poorer examples", then yes.  If that's a reference to a
pre-1926 pop song, then it obviously went over my head.  :)

Cheers,
- Graham