Re: Big Measures in Large Ensemble

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: Big Measures in Large Ensemble
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 10:07:08 +1000

On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 23:03 +0100, Neil Puttock wrote:
> 2009/8/6 Joe Neeman <address@hidden>:
>
> > As per usual, it turned out to be more complicated than I expected. But
> > it's fixed in git now.
>
> Nice work, Joe; it's a great fix.
>
> I had a go at fixing it myself, but gave up after ending up with notes
> colliding with clefs and multiple `no spring ...' errors. :)

You probably made the same mistake that I made initially: if you prune a
breakable column then you've pruned it's broken pieces (ie. the
line-ending and line-beginning pieces, which shouldn't be pruned) in
addition to it's mid-line piece.

> A few comments:
>
> Don't you think \bar "empty" should behave in the same way as \bar ""?
>  Though it's treated differently in bar-line.cc (it's ignored
> completely, so returns an empty stencil), I think users will expect it
> to reflect its naming.

How about just checking for an empty extent, like in the attached patch?

> I notice the spacing for volte which don't start or end at a barline
> is tighter (it matches the behaviour without volte), though this is
> probably preferable

That wasn't intentional; I'll take a closer look to make sure it doesn't
have undesirable consequences.

> (as an aside, the volta brackets are right at the
> top of the page in the pdf, which looks like a spacing bug).

Yeah, grobs that live in System mess up the spacing problem.

Joe