Re: conditionally eliminating lyric extender

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: conditionally eliminating lyric extender
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:15:33 +0100

Hi Kieren,

I'm not sure I understand the need for this.
I would not normally use a lyric extender
unless the syllable had an extended duration
over several notes or was sung to a long note.
This occurs far less frequently than a 2-note melisma.

Do you attach lyric extenders unconditionally
to every syllable sung to a melisma?

Yes:

1. According to the engraving histories/guides I've read, there should be an extender after *every* [final] melisma syllable

Aah - final syllable - yes!  And it's needed whether it's a melisma
or not if the final note is long, as it often is.

regardless of how short (including negative) that extender line would end up being.

2. One can't possibly know in advance how wide the final engraved note spacing will be relative to the length of the lyric syllable — hence one should *always* include extenders so that Lilypond can DTRT depending on the spacing requirements [of different editions, alternative system breaks, etc.].

OK, I agree your automatic length calculation would be a nice feature,
with negative lengths resulting in no extender being printed.

this seems to be the standard practice in the vocal scores I'm familiar with.

Recently, I've seen a lot of scores that don't use extenders *ever*... but I think this is a horrible practice which makes sight- singing more difficult.

Agreed. They are definitely helpful when the duration of the note(s) in the score is significantly longer than the associated printed syllable.

Trevor