Re: website: why do you use lilypond?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: website: why do you use lilypond?
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 02:32:55 -0700

On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 02:31:35PM +0100, Tim Rowe wrote:
> 2009/8/6 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
>
> > I don't think that any of his songs would become available until
> > 2050 or so -- assuming the big media companies don't extend
> > copyright again in a few years.
>
> As I said originally, Elvis Presley's hit "Wooden Heart" is *already*
> public domain.

I'm sorry.  I read your earlier message much too quickly; looking
at it in the archives, I see that I somehow managed to ignore
everything apart from the first sentence.

> It was a cover of a German folk song that goes back to
> at least 1827. The English words are not public domain, but
> (conveniently) Presley sang a verse of the German original which *is*.
> So we could perfectly well obey copyright law by giving a couple of
> bars of the German verse. "Muß i' denn, muß i' denn, zum Städtele
> hinaus", Presley public-domainly sang. It would be different if we
> were posting his recording or that arrangement, but the song itself
> and the German lyric shouldn't be a copyright issue.

Ok, you evidently know far more than me about this.  Somebody else
already offered to do the guitar/tablatureexample, but so could
you create a "popular music" example?
(to replace the "we needs words!" example)

> It's a pre-1926 pop song (probably -- certainly pre-1930). Music Hall,
> composer unknown. Probably best known for the verse "It's the same the
> 'ole world over / ain't it just a bloomin' shame, / it's the rich what
> gets the pleasure / it's the poor what gets the blame."

Not at all known to me... but then again, even Michael (sp?)
Jackson is before my time when it comes to pop.  :)

Cheers,
- Graham