Re: Pop versions of classical music

From: Tim Rowe
Subject: Re: Pop versions of classical music
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 15:03:02 +0100

2009/8/8 Mike Blackstock <address@hidden>:
> Just an idea on typesetting popular music that people would recognize but
> that have copyright issues: quite a number of these songs are, as suggested
> in another thread, older non-copyrighted songs with new lyrics added and
> typesetting the originals is one way around the problem.

But surely what we want on the website will include lyrics, so we'd be
limited to those that
a) had lyrics (Bach tocattas ruled out by that); and
b) where the lyrics are public domain.

I'd count "Aura Lee" as a "pop" song in its own right, and so a
contender (as, I suppose, would be Stephen Foster's songs), but Elvis
didn't sing any of the lyrics to "Aura Lee" when he sang "Love me
Tender" -- that's where "Wooden Heart" has an advantage, because Elvis
*did* sing some of the public domain lyrics. It seems more memorable
than other traditional songs that have been hits ("I Know Where I'm
Going" by both Burl Ives and The Weavers, "All Around my Hat" by
Steeleye Span, "Whisky in the Jar" by Thin Lizzie and so on).

--
Tim Rowe