\cadenzaOn question

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: \cadenzaOn question
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 21:43:42 +0200

Because of a question on the german forum, I thought I'd ask here. Is the music in a cadenza supposed to take up no time? Consider the following:

\version "2.12.1"
\relative c'{
   \time 2/4
   \set Score.skipBars = ##t
   c4 d
   <<
      {  R2^"G.P." }
      \new Staff { \cadenzaOn e4 f e d \cadenzaOff }

   R2*2
   c2
}

\relative c'{
   \time 2/4
   \set Score.skipBars = ##t
   c4 d e f
   <<
      {  R2^"G.P." }
      \new Staff { \cadenzaOn e4 f e d \cadenzaOff s2 }

   R2*2
   c2
}

I can certainly understand the logic behind it, but I couldn't find anywhere that this was explained. Perhaps it is implied in the notation reference, but it really only mentions bar lines and bar numbers, but not how cadenzas fit into multi-staff music.

James E. Bailey