Re: new website draft 8: almost giving up

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: new website draft 8: almost giving up
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 18:57:39 -0700

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 03:49:41AM -0700, Graham Percival wrote:
> Hi folks.
> http://lilypond.org/~graham/
>
> Make sure you check out the alternate CSS style #2.  This has
> fancy gradient-shaded menu bars, which could be a great hit.  It's
> /much/ easier to see which item you have selected.  If you like
> it, make sure you let us know, so that it can be added to the
> default layout.

I don't mind this alternate stylesheet; it's fancy, not too tacky, and
it goes well with the green (IMO).

However, I have some concerns:

- The CSS needs to be cleaned up.

- The rules (#pageHeader .heading) and (#pageHeader p) have incorrect
  margins; currently, there are collisions happening.

- Looking at the diff from default.css -> alt2.css, it is unclear to
  me how this design can incorporate the miniature logo
  (lily-home.png) with the background gradient idea.  Since both use
  the background-image rule, a new design decision needs to be made if
  we want to keep lily-home.png.

- If we do not want to keep lily-home.png, what will takes its place?
  If we want to scrap it, the entire #tocframe needs to be adjusted
  accordingly.

- Some of the other margins in div#main should be adjusted too.

For these items, we need volunteers.  I don't really want to touch the
CSS much more, but I can give pointers.

Thanks,
Patrick