Re: problems with learning lilypond

From: Simon Mackenzie
Subject: Re: problems with learning lilypond
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 17:26:06 +0700

Yeah it's proving to be an interesting learning experience trying to wrap my head around Lilypond. I feel it is like a multi-headed beast with Scheme & Lilypond script intermingled together. It makes for an interesting mix to get ones head around. The manuals are helpful but there are hugh gaps for any new and inexperienced user such as myself.

As for the output and end result. Every single person to whom I have presented printouts have only ever made very positive comments, from wood-be musicians to music teachers and choir masters all are amazed when I tell them I did this with a free music sheet program under linux. I'm no musician but the first time I printed one of the sample outputs it was easy to see Lilypond really does stand out amongst the rest.

Just wish I could figure out the global variable reassignment challenge so I can clean up my code and make it more presentable and easier to maintain.

Simon