Re: Defining new chord modifier

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Defining new chord modifier
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 07:30:29 -0600

On 8/13/09 1:13 AM, "Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool)"
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to use quint-chords, that is, containing only root and fifth,
> like <c g'>
> I want to define a chord name for this, to let me use
> c:5 or c:five

c:5 won't work; c:5 gives a C major triad.

I don't know how hard it would be to define a new modifier :five.  I would
not be in favor of accepting such a modifier into the main code base.

The proper modifier for creating it in LilyPond is c:5^3 (which is actually
shorter to type than c:five).  One can also use c^3, which is even shorter,
but it has the implied 5 and so may not communicate well in the source code.

> and display C5 in the chord name staff.

It requires a simple chord exception.

This has been nicely discussed here (the rock term for what you call a
"quint-chord" is "power chord"):

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.general/14407

HTH,

Carl