Re: website menus: gradient vs. solid

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Re: website menus: gradient vs. solid
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 16:19:31 +0100

Graham Percival wrote:
> I'm not certain if the question was clear, so let's do this again
> and put it to a vote.
>
> These two images have the same top-level menu item selected.
> Which is easier to see?
>   http://lilypond.org/~graham/solid.png
>   http://lilypond.org/~graham/gradients.png
>     (ok, the background to the lily icon doesn't match the other
>      shades; this can be fixed easily)
>
> Please DO NOT complain that brown gradients doesn't fit the color
> scheme; changing the colors (either of the gradients or the rest
> of the page) is easy.

The gradients are clearer, but the solid menu is perfectly clear enough.
 The choice for the top-level menu should be made on the basis of
whether gradient or solid looks best when the colour scheme is made
harmonious across the whole page.  (Sorry.)

What IS unclear is the second-level menu, where you have the problem
that the selected item doesn't have a consistent appearance -- it's
lighter, but can be light green, brown ... depending on its place in the
menu.  There I think gradients, or some other more overt selection
mechanism, are vital.

So on balance, I think that favours the gradients.

Best wishes,

    -- Joe