Re: new website draft 8: almost giving up

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: new website draft 8: almost giving up
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 17:00:57 +0200

Op donderdag 13-08-2009 om 11:05 uur [tijdzone -0300], schreef Han-Wen
Nienhuys:
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 3:14 AM, Jan
> Nieuwenhuizen<address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >> It's not that; Jan thought you were objecting to having:
> >>   LilyPond is Free Software and part of the GNU project.
> >> on the home page.
> >>
> >> Frankly, I'm still not conviced that's a good thing to add, so
> >
> > We need "free" (ie: gratis) "music" and "software" to work
> > as search terms.  We are at position #223 when you search for
> > "music software", where our most direct opponents are on
> > google's front page.
> >
> > Why is this so hard to see?
>
> I side with the general recommendation that Google gives, which is to
> focus on building a good website, and trusting that the resulting
> search ranking reflect reasonable metrics on quality.

Right.  My suggestion was that new users will probably search
for "free music software".  I seem to be the only one thinking
this (ah, besides the finale/sibelius marketing people).  So...
what do you think people will search for?

-- Jan.