Re: website menus: gradient vs. solid

From: Tim Reeves
Subject: Re: website menus: gradient vs. solid
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 10:33:33 -0700

> > I'm not certain if the question was clear, so let's do this again
> > and put it to a vote.
> >
> > These two images have the same top-level menu item selected.
> > Which is easier to see?
> > Â http://lilypond.org/~graham/solid.png
> > Â http://lilypond.org/~graham/gradients.png
> > Â  Â (ok, the background to the lily icon doesn't match the other
> > Â  Â  shades; this can be fixed easily)
> >
> > Please DO NOT complain that brown gradients doesn't fit the color
> > scheme; changing the colors (either of the gradients or the rest
> > of the page) is easy.
> >

> > For the record, I vote in favor of SOME kind of gradients. Â (not
> > necessarily brown)
> > Voting will end in 48 hours.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > - Graham

I'm probably not helping much by saying so, but I prefer the solid - it
just looks cleaner, and while the gradient version stands out more that
might be just due to the darker color, and finally, I don't think it's
*necessary* for it to stand out so much - it's right at the top, bold and
underlined. It probably doesn't matter that much, though. Either way, it's
a great improvement over the current page!