Re: huge file with Japanese characters

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: huge file with Japanese characters
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 22:59:08 +0200 (CEST)

> When I compile this file (just four notes and a few japanese
> characters) I obtain a 2.2 Mio pdf file. I'm not talking about the
> 15.8 Mio ps file.
>
> Am I right saying it's a strange behavior?

This is a bug in gs.  If the Japanese font contains embedded bitmaps,
they are not subsetted (as done with all outline glyphs) in the PDF
but output completely.  The recent version of gs, 8.70, should simply
strip these bitmaps,[1] yielding much smaller PDF files.

    Werner

[1] While I have reported this bug to the ghostscript people, I
    haven't found yet time to actually check whether the fix really
    works as expected.