Re: Widening one measure so that dynamics don't overlap

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Widening one measure so that dynamics don't overlap
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 21:53:25 +0200

Am Montag, 17. August 2009 21:18:56 schrieb Reinhold Kainhofer:
> Am Montag, 17. August 2009 19:56:04 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
> >      4. add a hidden voice with a MultiMeasureRest, and adjust the
> > #'minimum-length.
>
> Ah, thats a nice idea. I had tried a hidden voice with normal notes (like
> in http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=126), but that (a) messed up
> \relative, (b) gave me note column collisions and (c) also required hiding
> Dot, ledger lines, etc. And of course, that didn't give me any option to
> set a minimum width!
>
> > #4 is the technique I use most often.
>
> Yeah, that seems to work best. [...]
>
> My solution is posed to the LSR:
> http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=629

Grr, it doesn't work so well, though: This will not work in the first measure
of a line or immediately after a time signature change!

See the attached file, where measures 3, 5 and 7 use that invisible spacer
rest. It seems that minimum-length will be the minimum length for the whole
measures, not for the rest itself. So time signature and clef will already
take a large portion of the desired minimum width and the space left for the
rest will be too small again...

Unfortunately, it seems that MultiMeasureRest does not use the minimum-X-
extent property, because setting
   \override MultiMeasureRest #'minimum-X-extent = #'(-5 . 18)
does not have any effect.

Cheers,
Reinhold
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886