Re: Widening one measure so that dynamics don't overlap

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Widening one measure so that dynamics don't overlap
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 16:06:46 -0400

Hi Reinhold,

Grr, it doesn't work so well, though: This will not work in the first measure
of a line or immediately after a time signature change!

Something like this would work anywhere, yes?

\version "2.13.3"
\paper {
  line-width = 9\cm
}
makeSpace = {
   \once \override Score.BarLine #'transparent = ##t
   \once \override Score.BarLine #'X-extent = #'(-2 . 2)
   \bar "|"
}
\new Voice \relative c' {
  \dynamicUp
  << { c1 } { s2\f s2\p } >> | \noBreak
  f4 e d c | \noBreak
  << { c1 } { s2\f \makeSpace s2\p } >> | \noBreak
  d2 e |
}

Hope this helps!
Kieren.

p.s. Of course, all of this hoop-jumping just goes to show that we should have *much* more control over spacing tweaks than we do... =\