Re: Need some help with \include "makam.ly"

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Need some help with \include "makam.ly"
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 22:41:07 +0100

Graham Percival wrote Monday, August 17, 2009 11:30 AM

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 12:07:44PM +0100, Joseph Wakeling wrote:
Neil Puttock wrote:
> Can you suggest any improvements for this snippet's > documentation? It > does already mention where the pitch names are defined > (ly/makam.ly).

An actual link to LM section 4.6.3 would help. Also, the details of the location of the ly/ folder are not correct. It gives the location as being,

INSTALLDIR/lilypond/usr/share/lilypond/current/

Yes, but that is under the section headed
"Downloaded from lilypond.org" ...

... whereas if your LP install is via a package manager, it will be in

/usr/share/lilypond/x.yy.z/

... where x.yy.z is the version number (2.12.1 in my case).

... and that's exactly what it says in the
following section, helpfully entitled
"Installed from a package manager or compiled
from source"

Interesting.  Nobody who touched that part of the docs, including
me, has ever installed lilypond via a package manager.  Hopefully
Trevor can modify the section accordingly.

It seems to be correct already.

I know the snippet documentation is meant to be brief but why not add a note-name table -- or if not in the documentation, in the snippet source
that you get when you click on the example?

We could add this to pitches.itely and world.itely (appropriately
split up).  Trevor can help you get the documentation source,
proofread your texinfo changes, and prepare a patch.

Happy to do this, Joseph.  Just tip me a wink
if you wish to do this.

Trevor: the actual table goes in pitches.itely (obviously), while
we should add a NR 2.9.2 Makam or Turkish or something.  I guess
that section will only contain a "References for..." subsection,
but that's fine.

Hhm.  I'll have a think about it but as
I know precisely zero about this I'd need some
help.  And from what I've seen on the lists
I don't relish the idea much, as there seems to
be little consensus.  If someone wants to write
that section I'd be happy to guide them and
insert the mark-up.

Trevor