Re: arbitrary TeX expressions in a score?

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Re: arbitrary TeX expressions in a score?
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 22:10:37 +0200

address@hidden wrote:

>> With the possible exception of the font commands for markup or
>> things like the current date and time, I don't think that lilypond
>> output should depend on the computer.
>
> Doesn't it already depend on a LaTeX installation? Just a few days ago
> I reinstalled my computer, and on Ubuntu, the lilypond package required
> some TeX packages which I noticed, because I mistakenly forgot
> to install texlive first, which I usually do.

Lilypond itself doesn't have (La)TeX as a dependency -- see:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond-program/Requirements#Requirements

However, the lilypond-data package in Ubuntu lists several TeX-related
dependencies/pre-dependencies, as you can see by typing

  aptitude show lilypond-data

at the command line:

Package: lilypond-data
State: installed
Automatically installed: yes
Version: 2.12.2-1
 LilyPond is a music typesetter, an automated engraving system.  It
 produces beautiful sheet music using a high level description file as
 input.

 This package contains architecture-independent data files for LilyPond.
 Homepage: http://lilypond.org/

Can anyone explain why these dependencies should exist (unless it's just
that Debian/Ubuntu people have got things wrong)?

Best wishes,

    -- Joe