Re: Need some help with \include "makam.ly"

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Need some help with \include "makam.ly"
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 16:10:42 -0700

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 01:00:10PM +0100, Joseph Wakeling wrote:
> Trevor Daniels wrote:
> >> Trevor: the actual table goes in pitches.itely (obviously), while
> >> we should add a NR 2.9.2 Makam or Turkish or something.  I guess
> >> that section will only contain a "References for..." subsection,
> >> but that's fine.
>
> As for sections -- my preference would be
> to group all Makam-related stuff together, pitches and all.

That's nice, but it's not the doc policy.  Pitches go in
pitches.itely.  Having a standard set of locations for things
makes them easier to find.

> This replicates 2.9.1 on Arabic music, where the note names are
> discussed in the second section.

No; that gives a general overview.  I mean, it never states what
-bb is.

> So we have two approaches: either Makam as a self-contained entry
> in World Music or an extra section in 1.1.1 referring to non-Western
> pitches.

The pitch-related material goes in pitches.itely.  World music
contains a "References for..." section that points to the relevant
section of pitches.itely.  Add any extra sections to world.itely
that you want, as long as you don't duplicate any material that's
earlier in the NR.

This is the policy that we reached during the year-long GDP.

> What about translations?  Reading through the Makam snippet I noticed
> that it contained multiple translations alongside the core English text.
> How do I address the issue of divergence between English and the other
> texts?

Ignore the non-English stuff.

Cheers,
- graham