Re: Need some help with \include "makam.ly"

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Need some help with \include "makam.ly"
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 08:11:06 +0100

Graham Percival wrote Wednesday, August 19, 2009 12:10 AM

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 01:00:10PM +0100, Joseph Wakeling wrote:
Trevor Daniels wrote:
>> Trevor: the actual table goes in pitches.itely (obviously), >> while >> we should add a NR 2.9.2 Makam or Turkish or something. I >> guess >> that section will only contain a "References for..." >> subsection,
>> but that's fine.

As for sections -- my preference would be
to group all Makam-related stuff together, pitches and all.

That's nice, but it's not the doc policy.  Pitches go in
pitches.itely.  Having a standard set of locations for things
makes them easier to find.

This replicates 2.9.1 on Arabic music, where the note names are
discussed in the second section.

No; that gives a general overview.  I mean, it never states what
-bb is.

So we have two approaches: either Makam as a self-contained entry
in World Music or an extra section in 1.1.1 referring to non-Western
pitches.

The pitch-related material goes in pitches.itely.  World music
contains a "References for..." section that points to the relevant
section of pitches.itely.  Add any extra sections to world.itely
that you want, as long as you don't duplicate any material that's
earlier in the NR.

The makam pitches contain 1/9-tone alterations,
so they will not fit into the existing note-name
tables.  It will need, as you, Joseph, suggested
a new subsection in 1.1.1. for non-Western pitches.
Let's use that as the heading.  The material there
should be restricted to just the pitch and alteration
names, like the Arabic stuff.  That means we can
move the Arabic note names there too - I always
thought it was misplaced with the language-related
differences.  Keeping the material there restricted
to the bare minimum means we don't violate another
GDP policy, which was to include in section 1 only
the material that most people would need to use.
All the discussion of Turkish music should go in
section 2, just like the Arabic music, as you
suggested.  Each section should refer to the other
of course.

This is the policy that we reached during the year-long GDP.

Trevor