Re: Lilypond language definition for Notepad++

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: Lilypond language definition for Notepad++
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 23:48:29 +0200

Ah, I understand. nano loads a config file when it starts, so if a file's extension matches any of the ones defined in the config file, it then loads the appropriate syntax.

As to what I decided to hilight. That was a completely personal issue, and since it was my first (and only) attempt at using regex, I'm sure it could be improved. But, I limited myself to the following (in increasing order of importance, since if something fits two definitions, nano will use the one defined later in the config file:

• expressions within curly braces
• chords (expressions within angle-brackets)
• simultaneous expressions (expressions within double angle-brackets) (note, these last two don't really work very well together, apparently I'd need a parser in order to separate something like << <> >> which can exist and quite often does exist in a lilypond file. It was enough for me to simply have them colored differently so I could see them easily.)
• slurs and phrasing slurs
• articulations
• music functions (anything starting with a leading \ )
• note names
• dynamics
• notes beamed together
• anything within quotation marks
• Scheme expressions
• comments

You may find different things important to you. My regex is far from perfect, but, it exists, and it means that I don't have to learn another editor. And if something doesn't please me in the way the syntax hilighting works, I know how to change it.