Re: Need some help with \include "makam.ly"

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Re: Need some help with \include "makam.ly"
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 20:12:50 +0200

Jay Hamilton wrote:
> I just ran a file with each accidental on a single note.
> The compile result did not show a difference between
> cfi and cfu
> even though makam.ly <http://makam.ly> says there is a difference - so
> is there one? Or is this more of a midi thing?

Not being an actual expert on makamlar or any other aspect of Turkish
classical music, I can only hazard guesses. :-)

The intervals you're referring to are a flat comma (koma), which is -1/9
of a tone; and two very close intervals, either -5/18 or -3/9 (eksik).

These are all _intervals_ used in Turkish music but as far as I can tell
from the Wikipedia page on makam, not all are notated with accidentals.
 So eksik is an interval that occurs between e.g. c-koma-sharp (c+1/9),
notated with a backwards flat, and d-kucuk-flat (d-5/9), notated with a
regular flat symbol; but eksik is never notated as an actual interval.

Alternatively, it's possible that this is about intonation differences
that are understood in music but not notated distinctly (as in Arabic
music, where the 'quarter-tones' are approximate and vary in pitch
depending on context).

Anyway, according to Wikipedia the intervals are +/- 1/9, 4/9 and 8/9.
Lilypond also notates +/- 5/9, with regular sharps or flats.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makam

Really we need an expert on Turkish classical music to come and give
review or advice on Lilypond's functionality and documentation.  Who
originally implemented makam.ly?  No details are provided in the file...

Best wishes,

    -- Joe

P.S. Documentation patch IS on its way, I was just a bit distracted with
other things in the last days to get it finished.