Re: \context for named Staff

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: \context for named Staff
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 19:15:36 +0200

Trevor Daniels schrieb:

Marc Hohl wrote Saturday, August 22, 2009 7:30 PM

Jay Anderson schrieb:
[...]
 So what do you think? Should the "SmallStaff" just
be left as a snippet?

If it is a snippet ideally I'd want to do something like:

\include "small_staff.lyi"
\score {
  \new SmallStaff {...}
}

How would one make small_staff.lyi so this worked? This way it would
be bundled with the other global variables. The only way I found was
to do this:

small_staff.lyi
=====
\context {
  \Score
  \accepts "SmallStaff"
}
\context {
  \Staff
  \type "Engraver_group"
  \name "SmallStaff"
  \alias "Staff"

  fontSize = #-3
  \override StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #(magstep -3)
}

As the discussion here seems to be stuck, I want to push it a bit :)

I'm not keen on including this in the sources
as it is not a complete solution.  For example,
it does not permit scaled lyrics to be attached
to a voice in the staff, as might be required
in an ossia or piano reduction.  For that you
would need a scaled StaffGroup and a scaled
PianoStaff.  And what about scaled chords, etc?
The present documented method using \with
is cumbersome but general.
Ok, I didn't think about lyrics etc. So I agree with you,
an incomplete solution should not be included in the sources.

Marc