Re: horizontal synchronisation of notation in drum mode

From: Andrew Tucker
Subject: Re: horizontal synchronisation of notation in drum mode
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 00:09:57 -0400

On Aug 23, 2009, at 6:12 PM, Brian Lloyd wrote:

Dear Colleagues,

A relative newcomer to Lilypond, I am v. pleased to be able to notate drums in drum mode, and / but—

Need your guidance on getting notation on beat in upper and lower voice to same horizontal location.

I am typesetting swing-feel cymr in the upper voice and writing figures involving bd, sn & hhp in the lower voice.

Decided to use simple eighths notation in upper voice to reduce problems, but still some ambiguity in placement of notes, even when eights in both upper and lower voice.

Things getting slightly more out of hand when typesetting triplet figures in lower voice, and need to do this.

Great to see another drummer here! A sample of what you're working on would be helpful -- here's what I made up, hoping it addresses some of your issues:

\version "2.13.3"

drh = \drummode {
        \repeat unfold 8 { cymr4 cymr8 cymr }
}

drl = \drummode {
        bd4 <bd hhp sn> bd <bd hhp sn> |
        bd8 sn <hhp sn> bd  \times 2/3 { sn4 sn sn }  |
  \times 2/3 { sn8 sn sn } \times 2/3 { <hhp sn>8 bd bd }
  \times 2/3 { sn8 bd bd } \times 2/3 { <hhp sn>8 sn bd } |
}

\score {
                \new DrumStaff          <<
                        \set Staff.instrumentName = #"drums"
                        \new DrumVoice { \voiceOne      \drh }
                        \new DrumVoice {        \voiceTwo \drl }

Also— how to introduce slightly more space to make things more legible? I want to simply s-t-r-e-t-c-h things out a little.

NR 4.5.5 "Proportional Notation" looks like maybe what you're after here - though I'd advise starting with the percussion notation sections (below) first...
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/user/lilypond/Proportional-notation#Proportional-notation

Have checked documentation, but still a little unclear.

Directions to relevant sections would be most appreciated, if that's all it takes.

Notation Reference 2.5.1 "Common Notation for Percussion" - see "Percussion Staves"
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/user/lilypond/Common-notation-for-percussion#Percussion-staves

Your help would be appreciated.

Sekantombi

Hope this is a start!