Re: Staff sizing

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Staff sizing
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 01:02:10 +0200

Valentin Villenave wrote:
2009/8/25 Didi & MiMi Kanjahn <address@hidden>:
I am trying to resize a score from A4 to A5.
Using

  \layout {
  #(layout-set-staff-size 14)...

most things bound to the staff scaled down nicely, but the distance of staff
lines (for me unexpectedly) did not.

Unexpectedly for almost everyone, I guess. It just contradicts the intuition one has about it, especially since the global-set-staff-size does this "the Right way". But it fulfills the "specifications", as it is explicitly mentioned in NR 4.2.1, "Setting the staff size" under "Known issues and warnings":

"layout-set-staff-size does not change the distance between the staff lines. "

(More precisely, #'staff-space is not changed along, and it internally refers to global staff-spaces as units, which aren't affected by the layout-set-staff-size command as well; see IR 3.2.96 "staff-symbol-interface".)

I tried

 \score{
 <<
       \new Staff << \override StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #0.7 \global  \new
Voice  { \one }...

but that did nothing.

I didn't test it, but my guess is the following: StaffSymbol is a property of the Staff, but if you don't explicitly declare the context in the override command, Voice is always assumed, and there #'staff-space has no meaning.
So you should try one of the following:

\score { <<
  \new Staff { <<
    \override Staff.StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #0.7    % note "Staff."
  >> }
>> }

or my preferred variants (cleaner/more understandable and obvious, if you don't want to change this very property throughout the piece):

\score { <<
  \new Staff \with {
    \override StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #0.7
    % "Staff." not needed here, since the context is uniquely defined
    % to be this very Staff the \with {} section belongs to.
  } { <<
  >> }
>> }

or even better (since you'll probably want to do this for all staves in the score):

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff { << ... >> }

  \layout {
    \context {
      \Staff
      \override StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #0.7
      % "Staff." not needed here, since the context is uniquely defined
      % to be all Staves.

HTH.

Cheers,
Alexander