Re: staff groups.....deletable?

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: staff groups.....deletable?
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 08:02:47 +0100

Please use the Lilypond-User List
<address@hidden> for these questions.

Limao Luo wrote Sunday, August 30, 2009 11:51 PM

I have a piece in which I have combined the violin 1 and violin 2 parts because the notes in the first thirty or so measures are the same; however, when I try to use the \new StaffGroup command to separate the notes into two different staves, I find that there are three staves all in a column; however, I want to be able to get rid of the staff they were originally combined on in the first
thirty measures. Is this at all possible?

The excerpt of code I used that produced this unwanted bug is as follows:

{
\time 7/8 d8-> (cis) b a-> (b) fis-> (g)
\new StaffGroup << \new Staff { \time 3/8 a4 e'8} \new Staff { a (a,) e'} >>
}

Here's one way.  You will need to insert a \break
where the two staves begin.  See section 1.6.2 in
the Notation Reference for details.

\layout {
 \context {
   \RemoveEmptyStaffContext
   \override VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-first = ##t
{
 \new Staff {
   \time 7/8
   d8-> (cis) b a-> (b) fis-> (g)