Re: chord durations

From: Leonardo Herrera
Subject: Re: chord durations
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 15:43:20 -0400

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Tim McNamara<address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
> You appear to be trying to learn sheet music and LilyPond simultaneously.
>  It would go faster to learn the rules of Western sheet music first- the
> fundamentals are actually pretty easy and you can readily find most of the
> information online- and then LilyPond.

Or, try to learn lilypond first, then tackle an absurdly complex piece
of music (Debussy's Clair of Lune, for example) and dive head-first on
it, just to be stuck on the first measure (*), and go to your wife who
happens to be a music teacher and start asking her for help. It does a
lot to improve communication...

Wait, what were we talking about?
--
Leonardo Herrera
mailto:address@hidden

(*): Just for keeping things on-topic-ish, this is what I'm talking about:

\version "2.12.0"

blanknotes = { \override NoteHead  #'transparent = ##t
               \override Stem  #'transparent = ##t }
unblanknotes = { \revert NoteHead #'transparent
                 \revert Stem #'transparent }

upper = \relative c'' {
        \clef treble
        \key des \major
        \time 9/8
        \override Staff.NoteCollision #'merge-differently-dotted = ##t
        \override Score.RehearsalMark #'Y-offset = #0.1
        \mark \markup { \upright Andante \italic \concat{t r \char ##x00E9 s
} ¬"expressif" }

        r8 \pp r8 \blanknotes <f aes>8\(  ~ \unblanknotes \stemDown <f aes>4.
<des f>4. ~
}

lower = \relative c' {
        \key des \major
        \time 9/8
        \override Staff.NoteCollision #'merge-differently-dotted = ##t

        % 1
        <<
                { s8  <f aes>8 \change Staff = upper \relative c''{ \stemDown
<f aes>8 } }
                \\
                % trick to make legatto...
                { r8 \blanknotes <f aes>4 ~ \unblanknotes <f aes>2. }

        % 2
        <ges a>2. ~ <ges a>4.
}

\score {
        \new PianoStaff <<
                \context Staff = "upper" {
                        % \set PianoStaff.instrumentName = "Piano  "
                        #(set-accidental-style 'piano)

                        \upper
                }
                \context Staff = "lower" {