one bar number per system

From: Dan Eble
Subject: one bar number per system
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 23:33:35 +0000 (UTC)

I would like Lilypond to print one bar number per system, except the first.  The
default behavior appears to be to print one bar number per system, except the
first, for systems that begin at a measure break.  Systems that begin in
mid-measure (e.g. due to \bar "") do not get a bar number on the first bar line,
and that is what I would like to change.

I looked in the snippet reference, but nothing seems to fit.  I do not want to
use rehearsal marks if I can avoid it.

I already use a variable \meterBreak to increase the likelihood of breaking the
line at chosen places (mid-measure or not), so if there is something I could add
to \meterBreak that would force the next bar line to have a number, that would
be useful.

If there is no way to get a number on the next bar, an acceptable alternative
would be to print the current bar number in parentheses at the beginning of the
line.

I have seen how "barNumberVisibility" can be set to a function that considers a
bar number and says whether or not it should be visible, but I am out of my
depth trying to understand if there is any way for such a function to know if a
bar number has already been printed on the current line.

Thanks for any suggestions,
--
Dan