Re: Contemporary music documentation

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Re: Contemporary music documentation
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 20:13:08 +0200

Trevor Daniels wrote:
> BTW, slightly tangential, but have you seen section 4.5.5 on Proportional
> notation, written by Trevor Bača?  There would be no need to repeat this.

Sure -- I've even tried using that functionality in one or two pieces.
:-)  Incidentally, what's described there is only a subset of
proportional notation forms -- is there any potential/possibility with
Lilypond for the 'true' proportional notation where stems are not given
and note lengths are indicated by lines proceeding from the notehead?

To the general point, there are lots of contemporary notation issues
already addressed in the docs, but they're spread out and not
necessarily all easy to find -- one of the motivations for the proposed
section is to have one single 'contemporary music' space to guide people
to the right sections of the existing manuals.

I'll start working on this, bit by bit -- if it's OK to submit stubs I
will probably sketch out a form for the section and fill in later.

Best wishes,

    -- Joe