I cannot integrate music and text

From: mark damerell
Subject: I cannot integrate music and text
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 10:17:22 +0100

I have a lilypond file which is a 4 part vocal score, 20 bars long. It
runs with no visible error and prints correctly. I have tried:

1. Using OOolilypond 0.4.  I inserted my file into the template "direct to
lilypond", it produces lots of syntax errors. I found a minimal example:

\key c \major aes               the aes is an unexpected string

2. Using the    pdf import extension   from openoffice.org.  This comes
with no instructions saying how you should use it.  I did  file > open  on
my  music.pdf  file and set the document class  to  pdf .  The file was
read and something appeared which was clearly my score, but all
of the noteheads and most of the lyrics were missing. The surviving
lyrics were about 1 letter per word, and in a horrible looking font.

I think this may be because openoffice cannot find the required fonts,
but I dont know what fonts are needed or where to install them. On my
system (Ubuntu unix 8.04) there are at least 20 directories containing
font files.

3. Using lilypond-book. I took the example from Sec 4.1 of the online
lilypond manual and replaced   screech-boink.ly  with my  music.ly .
Again the result was recognisable but the bars were in the wrong order
and some bars were missing altogether.

Thanks for any help, Mark