Re: Contemporary music documentation

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: Contemporary music documentation
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 22:08:02 +0100

2009/9/4 Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>:

> And perhaps we should avoid the \set Staff.instrumentName tweaks by defining
> a \setInstrumentName command
>
> setInstrumentName =
> #(define-music-function (parser location instrument-name) (string?)
>  #{
>    \set Staff.instrumentName = $instrument-name
>  #})
>
> Then we wouldn't even need the instrumentName exception.

I'm not in favour of this type of substitution function; I hope it's
not indicative of the kind of approach we'll be pursuing in GLISS.
Apart from cluttering the source with syntactic sugar constructs, this
hard-codes inflexibility which is detrimental to users' understanding
of LilyPond.  We already have too many predefined commands which rely
on particular contexts; imagine a user wanting to set an instrument
name for a PianoStaff: the above is useless in this situation.

Regards,
Neil