Re: New user question - relative bowing and fingering marks

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: New user question - relative bowing and fingering marks
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 11:45:38 +0200

Op maandag 07-09-2009 om 14:32 uur [tijdzone -0700], schreef John Ervin:

> This is rather atypical in my experience. Is there a way to have the
> fingering close to the note and the bowing instruction above that?

It looks like you may have found a bug.  LilyPond should format
stuff correctly, if she produces atypical results we should
check our references and teach her, rather than look for tweaks.

So...looking for references on this is not so easy.  Stone doesn't
say anything, Reed doesn't, Ross merely states that "probably no
two experienced engravers will always" [place fingering in the same
spot], but notes that "when accents are used [] with fingerings,
the accents take their normal positions and fingerings are placed
either abover or below [] according to the available space.

Now...are bowing instructions accents?

I'm attaching two scans of Baerenreiter's solo cello suite, that
show they agree with you on the placement.  I propose to fix
this if we cannot find better [contradicting] references.

> As an aside the glyph used for upbow doesn't look consistent with the
> rest of the glyph set. Typically the left hand side of the 'V' is
> darker than the right. The glyph in use doesn't seem to match the
> downbow glyph.

I think you are mistaken here.  The upbow glyph (see scans)
that I know invarably is symmetric.

Greetings,
Jan.

AvatarĀ®: http://AvatarAcademy.nl    | http://lilypond.org