Re: RESOLVED letter size, paper height

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: RESOLVED letter size, paper height
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 09:57:00 +0200

David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
I am using the tarball 2.12.2 on a debian
stable system.

I found that without paper-height, the page
was too long as displayed by gv or xpdf.
Is #(set-paper-size "letter") correct? If
so, it doesn't work without stating the
paper-height.  I think this is a bug in
ghostscript, not lilypond, but it seems
like an easy workaround.  Sorry if this
has come up before.  Regards, daveA

\paper {
  #(set-paper-size "letter")
% trim margin for a4 users
% letter width is about 215 mm
margin = 20\mm
line-width = 175\mm
% this should not be necessary (letter):
paper-height = 279.4\mm
}
As Trevor has pointed out, this should definitely not be necessary. I just tried it myself using the 2.12.2 Linux package (not on Debian, but it shouldn't matter) and I get exactly the same page size for the PDF file both with and without the explicit paper-height setting). If you have pdfinfo installed (from the xpdf-utils Debian package), you can easily verify yourself that the file indeed is letter size:
Page size:      612 x 792 pts (letter)

You can also easily verify what LilyPond asks Ghostscript to do. If you run lilypond with the flag -V, you should see
Converting to `./myfile.pdf'...
Invoking `gs -dSAFER -dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS=612.00 -dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS=792.00 ...

    /Mats