looking for script to color noteheads on handbell music

From: Stephen Corey
Subject: looking for script to color noteheads on handbell music
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 18:17:58 +0000 (UTC)

Hello lilypond gurus,

It looks like I'm going to be starting a handbell choir with a number of
people of varying skills.  At times in the past I would create an .ly
file for 1 or 2 people who had difficulty and manually color the
noteheads for their bells.  Now with all new people, I'd like to see if
anyone has developed a script or method to color specific noteheads on
the fly.

I can see this going two ways: either one score with various ranges in
different colors, or a sequence of score printouts, with each section
appropriately colored while the remainder is black.  I'd prefer the
latter but any help is appreciated.  Since I notate music in \relative
pitch, any script would have to be aware of the octave/pitch used and not
simply tied to a letter name.  Frankly, I don't even know if this is
possible in lilypond, much less where to start.  But this software
continues to surprise me after almost 5 years of continuous weekly use.

Thanks in advance for any help, tips, or pointers to existing
documentation.

Stephen Corey
Roseville, California