Re: mugshots for web page? [WAS: The LilyPond Report, again!]

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: mugshots for web page? [WAS: The LilyPond Report, again!]
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 02:08:19 +0100

On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 07:45:54PM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> Op maandag 07-09-2009 om 14:43 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Graham
> Percival:
> > On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 11:50:44AM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
>
> > However, I don't particularly want my photo on the lilypond
> > website.  This opens the possibility of having photos of some
> > developers but not others, which might seem a big ragged or
> > unbalanced.
>
> Why not?

I have quibbles about privacy on the internet.  I've recently
accepted having certain photos of me available (such as on my
website)... 5 years ago I would have refused outright.  I think I
could find something to put there.

However, I absolutely don't want to pressure other developers to
put their photos online.  Even if we don't explicitly ask people
to do so, if there's only one developer without a photo, that
creates some implied "peer pressure".

OTOH, I guess we're all adults here; if somebody really doesn't
want their photo online, they probably have enough strength of
will to resist that implied pressure.  Especially if we found
another photo... for example, if I really refused, we could use
some image of a cello in place of a photo.

Developers: if anybody is uncomfortable with having their photo
online, and would also feel uncomfortable about sticking out by
having some animal picture or musical picture or wahtever instead
of an actual photo, I'm more than willing to dig in my heels about
this idea.  Send me a private email if you'd like.

> Or what about stealing a creative idea from
>
>    http://www.fotosearch.com/photos-images/anonymous.html
>
> such as the profile.

Not bad.  At first, I thought the picture would be
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/da/AnonymousDemotivator.jpg
which, although insanely cool, would be a trifle at odds with
our professional new website.  :)

Cheers,
- Graham