Re: Fast lilypond input - does midi keyboard help?

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Fast lilypond input - does midi keyboard help?
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 11:28:49 -0400

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 11:51:36 +1200
Daryna Baikadamova <address@hidden> wrote:

> For simple monophonic lines, would it be faster to input using midi
> keyboard (together with realtime midi to lilypond converter such as
> rumor and an IDE such as Frescobaldi)?  Then after input, we will need
> to add back the fingerings, dynamic phrasing etc.
>
> In your opinion, would it be faster just to input lilypond using the
> traditional method, or using the hybrid method to enter the notes
> first, then go back and add / correct other details?

Unless you have little to enter beyond the pitches and times
of the notes, it is best to enter your music in the two
stages you suggest, and to retain a copy of the first stage.
Whether a converter can help with the notes depends on its
sophistication.  For example, can it write an Ab instead of a G# when
appropriate?  (MIDI doesn't do flats at all.)  With the shortcuts
provided (such as copying) by a decent editor, it's tough to beat plain typing
for pitch and time entry.  Regards, daveA