emacs on Ubuntu

From: Ralph Palmer
Subject: emacs on Ubuntu
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 21:08:58 -0400

Hi, I've been here before, but I've still got a problem.

I'm running Ubuntu (Jaunty Jackalope), Lilypond 2.12.2, and emacs 22.2.1.

Whenever I try to open a .ly file in emacs, I get :
File mode specification error: (file-error "Cannot open load file" "lilypond-mode")

Has anyone else had this problem and/or found a fix? I tried some instructions I got a while back from someone on the lilypond user list, and they didn't work. I re-installed emacs, and no joy. I then tried following the instructions again, and still no luck. Any suggestions?

Or is there another helpful text editor (with highlighting), other than jedit (with seems to be slow and resource intensive, in my experience)?

Thanks for your time and attention,

Ralph

--
Ralph Palmer